Sunday, June 6, 2010

Proper Capitalization



I made a goal for myself this summer. I must do something productive every day. I know otherwise I will waste the summer away. It will be the end of June, the end of July, and then I'll be at school and I'll have done nothing important. It's probably the biggest thing I need to work on for the start of my college life. That and time management.



So far, I've done well. I've kept my room clean [which is a huge shock], partook in some sort of exercise, and tried to make progress in something in some way every day [till this point]. But, the biggest issue that I want to conquer this summer is something that is more important than all the rest.

I need to make God a priority. I am wavering and lukewarm. I go through good, vibrant stages where I feel so close to Him and offer Him so much of myself and my life. But, more often, I go through long droughts where I am self-centered and choose to put my desires above our relationship. It's really difficult. The one thing I am thankful for is that I have the wisdom to see that this is happening. Now, I just need His help to try and change it.

With all the ongoing things in my life, I need to see this as a priority. It's the utmost important because when I die I'm not going to be able to credit who I am to the good memories with friends, the hours babysitting and working, etc. The only thing that will matter is the extent of my relationship and friendship with Him.

There is so much noise in my head, around me, and in my house. Technologically-speaking and mentally. It's not draining though. Ironically, I find the opposite to be far harder to endure. This is why I can't sit still and just listen to Jesus. Maybe because 'we don't hear anything' or maybe cause I don't know how to listen.

Today at Church, Fr. John talked about just that. He talked about those moments of silence or deep praise after receiving God into your utmost being. It's sacred. It's holy. It's life-changing [if you let it be]. I realized today that when Communion time is over I check out, remembering that there are only the announcements and one song left and then I am off to work. Sad. Pathetic. Just plain miserable, if you think about it.

During the homily, Fr. told a story about an old friend of his who is now an atheist. He said: "One time Ed said to me: 'Do you know how long it takes that whole church-full of people to get out of the church and drive away?' I said I didn't. He said: '8 minutes. If I truly believed that God was present here in this Church than I would never leave.'" That shines some intense perspective. Why don't we feel the need to sit in humble praise of His awe and majesty all the time? This reminds me of P.S. I LOVE YOU, since I just watched it recently. The wife in the movie was complaining about things not going well and not being perfect. And the husband said: "I'm sorry, love, but then you're living in the wrong species."

This line stuck out at me immediately. How deeply honest. This is something I want to realize. Every decision I or others make will now stick with that quote. We're in a species that's tearing us down and there's only one thing we can do about it. And you capitalize all His pronouns for good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment